DayspringofGod

Friday, December 30, 2005

Now or later...

One thing about people who own homes, is that they automatically gain a new winter hobby---SHOVELLING!

I was visiting with my best-cousin today, and while she was pumping gas into her parents' van, I noticed a snow-plow attempting to move around some piles of snow. It's been warming up in Ontario, so all the snow that's left is super wet (because it's melting) and super heavy (because it's melting). So I'm watching this truck go from drive to reverse to drive again, each time moving the pile another few inches, then backing up and going from another angle, and doing it all over again. By the time the gas was pumped, there was still a huge pile of snow blocking the parking spaces, but the guy had at least gained a little ground. What stuck out was this determination to move an obstacle that even when the work was done, would still be there at the end of the day. My first thought, was "Seriously, dude. Give it up. It's not like you're making that big of a difference, anyway."

Then I realized....WOAH! That's totally like the enemy, right there. A little seed of apathy spreads a long way, doesn't it?

This picture reminded me of what I've been battling with lately, trying to push at an obstacle that after time and time and time of switching back and forth from drive- to reverse-mode, not seeing much difference. Sometimes the thought is to simply leave the snow in the drive and just forget to care, and hope that spring comes fast so it will melt and you can finally use your driveway again.

Another thing that caught me as funny was when I was in Toronto, and it was snowing all day, and we kept passing people shovelling their walks as the snow was still falling, covering up their work. "Isn't it kind of pointless to shovel while the snow's falling? Why not wait until it's over and be sure you got it all?" To which my father said, "Maybe it's easier to move snow a little at a time than waiting until it piles up. Besides, it's easier on the back"....hmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home