DayspringofGod

Monday, March 20, 2006

Goodbye.

So, what do you do when you realize the thing you've finally learned how to lean on is leaving you? You would think that having been raised in the Salvation Army I would get used to goodbyes, but I just don't want to say goodbye anymore.
I'm tired of the people I get close to up and leaving for whatever good reason they may have. Basically, it's selfishness, because I just want to be around the people I love all the time. But then I realize if I had them around all the time I might stop valuing them, or forget that I love them, or take them for granted. So, even though goodbyes just seem to get harder every time, I try to remember that the first One I should be leaning on and clinging to with all my might is God. And I know He will bring people back into my life at the right time, because He already has, time and time again. That said, it doesn't make saying goodbyes any easier.

3 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

soo funny cuz im thinking the same exact thing!!! goodby sucks. and meeting new people who eventually have to leave sucks too. awwww

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

The trees grow more restless;
October wind weaves through them;
they shake their arms in disma
as if to fight the coming cold
and the grief of leaves going.

Autumn air does a heart-dance
on branches already gon barren;
the misty air clings to golden leaves,
making the trees bend even lower.

It is a season to hold the trees close,
to stand with them in their grieving.
It is a time to open my inner being
to the misty truths of my own goodbyes.

Autumn comes. It always does.
Goodbye comes. It always does.
The trees struggle with this truth today
and in my deepest of being, so do I.

Every autumn, nostalgia fills me;
every autumn, yearning holds me.
I cling to the ripeness of summer,
knowing it will be many long months
before I can catch a breath of lilac,
or the green of freshly mown grass.

And so I begin my fallow vigil,
remembering the truth of the ages;
Unless the wheat seed dies
it cannot sing a new birth.
Unless summer gives in to autumn
sprintime will never embrace me.

Joyce Rupp from her book "Praying our Goodbyes"

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Aurora said...

Wow, Kristen. That was beautiful. Thank God for Joyce Rupp and her poetic voice! And thank God for cousins who 'get it'. You know I love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home