DayspringofGod

Friday, July 22, 2005

On holiness....

The issue of holiness has come up a lot during this week, and we started praying for Tara that she would receive her 'second blessing'. We ARE a holiness movement, we HAVE holiness meetings, do we not? So why does it seem so frazzling when someone (aka Tara) starts asking simple direct questions? All of a sudden she's met with attack, and the simple question "so are you holy?" gets sidetracked by everyone praying over her like she's somehow missed the boat on some secret knowledge that everyone else has a firm grasp of. But if we all have a firm grasp on the experience, shouldn't there be a plethora of God-honoring testimony after the question??

Jesus says "Be holy as I am holy." Why would He say that- COMMAND, actually- if it were impossible? We are a holiness movement, are we not?

As far as I'm concerned, as a teacher, if you're not prepared to explain your experience in more than one way, than you're only speaking in theory and not from authority. Everyone learns in school that E=MC2 but could you explain how that works unless you are passionate about science, or are Einstein himself?

CS Lewis wrote in Mere Christianity; "As long as you are proud you cannot know God. A proud man is always looking down on things and people: and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you."

We cannot be God, but He has given us opportunity through Holy Spirit to get to know Him intimately. I was challenged a few days ago that I am afraid to get intimate with God. I thought I was getting intimate with God, but maybe I'm not. Have we turned into a movement that only theorizes about God rather than letting go of our pride in order to excperience Him in the fullness that He describes in the scriptures.

Jesus' disciples did the same miracles Jesus did.
Why do we so often settle for less??

3 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger YOU DONT KNOW MEEEeeee said...

sometimes i get confused. people will pray that i get more intimate with god- and when i think i am i start to question it. or pray for more faith, when i think i have quite a bit. or perseverance. or w/e. but i figure- more is great! always pray for more!
MORE LORD! MOOOOORE!
ok, im late for my war room shift. thanks a lot to yer blob!

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its tara not tarah

this is not tara btw

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Tara Ayer said...

It's true...I didn't leave that comment about my name. Yeah...so since this blog mentions me by name, I figured I set the record straight. I am already holy because I am in Christ Jesus but I am growing in holiness and the "blessing" that I'm hoping for is one of a pure heart. A heart that overflows with grace and love. That I know I don't have yet. But I am holy. Just wanted to clarify...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home