DayspringofGod

Sunday, June 19, 2005

Good point...

Went over to Chaz and Ashley's place last night for a bonfire. The wood was soaking wet, so the guys decided to douse it in gasoline....that got it going pretty well!! Good fun, it was....brought me back to bonfires at my aunt and uncle's place in Forest, Ontario, where I used to play hide-and-seek in the corn fields.
As we were simply hanging out together, sharing about our hopes/dreams/experiences and struggles, I realized, hey! This is pretty nice...no 'leader', no 'agenda', simply a bunch of friends getting together and being open about what matters to them. This is what the Acts 2 church looked like, all the believers, meeting together and giving to whoever had need...people literally giving of themselves, pouring out of themselves for eachother.
Ashley and I were talking about God, and she said "I always thought Christianity was about having a relationship with Christ, not judging people for what they looked like." Good point. I agree.

3 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Laura Oliver said...

I concur!

by the way...You do know it's me right... Your cousin...hehe
:D

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a bonfire this weekend as well - just the two of us, my husband and me. We sat, holding hands, watching the fire...and gradually through our peaceful reverie came the distant wails of a crying child; we then noticed the pounding of rock music, the clink of beer bottles, the sharp sounds of cussing thrown around like rocks in the rumblings of conversation and raucous laughter. Still the child cried, unattended. A dog barked intermittently, the party continued, and the child kept sobbing. Somehow the quiet of the evening we shared transitioned into a hollow pit, devoid of love, and aching with an empty sadness. I gazed longingly into the fire, seeking in vain those lost fragments of peace, and prayed for the family into whose life I had stolen a glimpse.

Into your hands, Father, I bring these children. Heed their cries, respond to their needs; fulfill their lives beyond that which dulls their senses. Bring them the protection of your love. Bless them, Father, and bring them peace. Amen.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Aurora said...

I have a friend that used to get beat up by her dad a lot. She shared with me about a turning point in her life when a neighbour busted down the door and stood up to her father, and literally took her out of her father's hands, and took her in to live with her.
God's salvation is real, and is for today.
Some other friends of mine used to open their home up any time someone came knocking at their door. Their home became a sanctuary for teens and young people in their neighbourhood. They would come there because they knew it was a safe place.
I wonder whether hearing that child crying was a call to go over there and be a voice for the voiceless? Even just to let them know they had a safe place to go just around the corner?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home