DayspringofGod

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Hey....we had a camp out this weekend, but it rained, and everyone was soaked...we still put up the tents, but the girls ended up sleeping in the van....I never thought I'd be one to sell out like that, but it was fun, anyway! There were four girls and four 'leaders', so a small group, and waking up and packing up in the rain wasn't all that fun. We played a game called "urban myth" that was pretty cool. There's a whole stack of cards with crazy factoids on them, and everyone has to vote whether the stories are 'true' or 'myth'. If you vote right, and your marker is on the same category square as the card that was read, you get the card which has a letter on the back. The winner of the game has to spell either "true" or "myth" with the cards they collect, and be the first one to do it. It turned out to be pretty cool!

As for my rations, I've been going through the book of Ezekiel. It seems God is pretty tough on idolatry, much more than we generally give Him credit for. We spend a lot of time on God's love and forgiveness, but not a whole lot on the seriousness of sin, or on living at a holy standard...There's been a lot of words for Bangor corps, about a revival coming AFTER the people return to the LORD and repent, but as for what specifically needs to happen or how, no one seems to have that piece. I think it has to do with seeing eachother as God sees us, and not weighing ourselves against who we think we should be, or what the media tells us we should be.

Major Frank Kirk preached last Sunday here, to send off his son and daughter-in-law to training college. He gave us scripture from 1 Samuel 17:3-11, 16, 52 from the story of David and Goliath, and was preaching on 'a soldier's responsibility'...the end point being that battles aren't won from the hilltops, but in engaging with the enemy. Oh man, what a good point, yeah?

The Philistines and the Isrealites were at war, and for 40 days, they stood on opposite sides of the battlefield while Goliath shouted over taunts at the Isrealites. Nothing happened until one kid stood up and took the challenge of the fight, conquered the giant, and the end of the story shows the entire Isrealite army chasing down the Philistines and plundering their camp. Again, the major point? "Battles aren't won by calling names from the hilltops, but in engaging with the enemy"

oh yeah....that's good stuff!

3 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Blogger Aurora said...

So, Apparently the name "Ezekiel" means "God strengthens"....I got a song from a friend who's been praying for me, and the words to the song were
Be bold, be strong,
For the Lord your God is with you

....I love it when things come together like that...

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

OK - send me an e-mail ... so I can have your address! I have something you might like!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Hi there!
tried that e-mail address... no luck! you didn't get it... here's the jist...
I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to walk either. So sad! I now have a whopping $21 to raise to hit my $2000 goal - so I may walk on the Saturday, but I cannot on the Sunday since it is the farewell to our associate priest (the one that I'm taking over for...) so I have to be there!

On another note, Some things have come into my possession, and I'd really like you to have one. Most of the things are Anglican (prayer books, etc) but in this box is what I think is our Great Grandmother's bible. Your mum has the bible that our great grandfather was given when he became a deacon, I have the one he was given when he became a priest. I have come to have our great-grandmothers bible and I thought you would be the perfect one to preserve it. Are you interested in it?

I hope all is well. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
much love,
Kristen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home