DayspringofGod

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Deep Waters

Interesting question posed to me in cell last night;
"If God is everything, and in everything, than God is both good and evil"
hmm...now, how do you deal with that one? God ALLOWS evil, because he allows freedom of choice. Yes he created Satan, but as an angel of light, and in pride he rebelled....but God created him with the CAPACITY to rebel, so therefore God is evil, too....sometimes I like debate, other times, I think satan likes to see us run in circles that have no conclusion so we walk out confused, and with more questions than answers. This morning in rations I fell over this proverb;
"The words of a man's mouth are deep waters, but the fountain of wisdom is a babbling brook"(18:4)
Deep waters are the scene of many shipwrecks. Like our debate last night, sometimes we try so hard to be 'deep thinkers' that we end up drowning in our own wonderings. But if God's wisdom is a babbling brook, it seems to be more simple, joyful even. Brooks are often sources where many little creatures can enjoy sustenance, while deep waters often swallow up life, either if you're thinking of the deep waters of the sea, or a closed off lake that grows stagnant in time. I don't think there have been many reports of people having drowned in a babbling brook!

3 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate debating. it furstrates me and makes me confused, i am satisfied with what i know, so id rather not debate it with someone that is not going to change there mind because of me.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Aurora said...

Dear Anonymous,
I find that when you argue two opposite sides to an extreme you realize how silly the extremes are, and generally come out a little wiser, and a little more sensitive to the 'other' side of the debate, rather than shutting people out who have different views. (That's not to say that I am always arguing my point...but, then again, maybe I am...I had to rebutt your comment, didn't I!)

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"but God created him with the CAPACITY to rebel, so therefore God is evil, too...."

This only works if we are arguing that the capacity to rebel itself is sinful. Which I dont think it is. We have the capacity to do evil. Yes. But we can make the choice to do good.
Thus God has not created evil, simply provided us with the choice.

Debating can be a good thing. As long as it is done with authenticity and respect.

Peter www.lublink.ca

 

Post a Comment

<< Home