DayspringofGod

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

God of Grace

This is basically what my outline was for my Sunday preach....give or take a bit. Your thoughts/comments would be very welcome! ~A.

God is a god of grace. Do you believe it?
Too often we try to shut God into some kind of a "box of our own understanding" so that we don't have to change who we are in the process of understanding our Creator.

The greek (Charis) and hebrew (Chen)words for grace can be translated into 'goodwill' or 'favour'. The Meriam-Webster dictionary defines grace as "the unmerited GIFT of DIVINE FAVOUR which brings about the salvation of a sinner".

What I love about grace is that it is favour that is unmerited. There is nothing you can do to deserve grace. It is a gift that is given, not a prize that has been earned. What I especially love about the grace of God, is that he so often extends it to people who you would least expect it.

God extended grace to Ninevah.
He extended grace to Rahab, a prostitute who protected Jewish soldiers during battle...not only was her life spared, but she is included in Jesus' family line as one of his ancestors.
To a woman caught in adultery, facing a crowd of people waiting to stone her to death, Jesus spared her, not because she wasn't guilty or deserving of that punishment, but because extending grace was more important than carrying out the letter of the law. Imagine what their lives must have been like after experiencing this grace-full God...being given a second chance to start fresh.

I think of my mom, who if you have heard her and her sisters' story of abuse, you would say she has every right to be angry and bitter at the world, but she's not. I have friends who were once drug addicts, witches, prostitutes, and violent men and women, become gentle, peaceable, loving individuals. It is not through self-help books, or anger-management courses, that they experienced this change of character, but engaging with a God of grace, who changed their hearts and lives in a real, tangible way.

We sing songs like "To be like Jesus"...but do we really mean those words? Are we willing to step outside of ourselves and extend grace to the person beside us? Our neighbors? Our co-workers? What needs to change to make us a people of Grace? Have we even experienced this God of Grace for ourselves, or is He always in our minds this legalistic monster shaking a finger at us for every wrong we have ever committed? If there is grace for a prostitute, why not grace for me? If I have experienced Grace in my life, doesn't it make sense for me to extend grace to those around me as well? I want to be a people of Grace. The church has tried shaking it's finger long enough. Maybe it's time we tried grace.

4 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

I find it very intriguing that we both spoke on passages about women doing things that society frowns upon - not sure if yours was part of the lectionary (Pardon my ignorance, but does the SA have a Lectionary?) but mine was by choice... if yours was too - isn't that an interesting thing!

You're right - get rid of the grey haired old man sitting on a throne in the parapets of heaven passing out judgements! Instead what a challenge it is to see the face of Christ in all we meet, no matter what they've been through, the crosses they bear or the social stigmas they've endured - it is truly through grace.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Jim Knaggs said...

At the NYSB retreat this past weekend, Lt. Colonel Ray Steadman-Allen spoke about grace. He featured the SA song, "I have no claim on grace..." Check it out...powerful verse...powerful grace.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Aurora said...

Kristen,
Yes, my sermon was by choice....pretty much every sermon is by choice in the Salvation Army, unless you're doing some sort of study series, but even then, that's usually by choice! The whole high-church lectionary thing is a bit of a mystery to me!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Aurora said...

For those of you who don't have access to the Salvation Army Songbook, here's the lyrics that Jim Knaggs was referring to:

I have no claim on grace;
I have no right to plead;
I stand before my maker's face
Condemned in thought and deed.
But since there died a Lamb
Who, guiltless, my guilt bore,
I lay fast hold on Jesus' name,
And sin is mine no more.


From whence my soul's distress
But from the hold of sin?
And whence my hope of righteousness
But from thy grace within?
I speak to thee my need
And tell my true complaint;
Thou only canst convert indeed
A sinner to a saint.

O pardon-speaking blood!
O soul-renewing grace!
Through Christ I know the love of God
And see the Father's face.
I now set forth thy praise,
Thy loyal servant I,
And gladly dedicate my days
My God to glorify.
Albert Orsborn (1886-1967)


Gold....pure gold!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home